There is a spectrum of Eating Disorders. Everyone knows of Anorexia (restricting food) and Bulimia (binge eating and then purging through vomiting, exercise or laxative use). However, did you know about Binge Eating Disorder?
Binge Eating now has a diagnosis in the DSM5. It is defined:
“Recurrent episodes of binge eating that is defined as, an amount of food that is definitely larger than most people would eat in a similar period of time under similar circumstances accompanied by a sense of lack of control over eating during the episode.”
The criteria for Binge Eating Disorder (BED) are associated with 3 or more of the following:
- Eating much more rapidly than normal
- Eating until feeling uncomfortably full
- Eating large amounts of food when not feeling physically hungry
- Eating alone because of being embarrassed by how much one is eating
- Feeling disgusted with oneself, depressed, or very guilty after overeating
- Marked distress regarding binge eating is present.
- The binge eating occurs, on average, at least once a week for three months.
- Absence of regular compensatory behaviors (such as purging) and does not occur exclusively during the course Bulimia Nervosa or Anorexia Nervosa.
People with Binge Eating Disorder may be overweight or obese, and they may be of normal weight. What I can tell you is that you know; if your eating habits are not normal. BED is associated with anxiety and may be a result of anxiety related to medical problems that are secondary to BED. Many people will choose high carbohydrate foods as their favorite binge foods; cakes, cookies, crackers, popcorn, dry cereal, all these foods can become binge foods. With our Nutegra Medical Nutrition Therapy Program we are able to help you manage the anxiety with your food and that is accomplished with your personal meal plan. The meal plan is for your body only and it gives you a boundary of healthy eating choices that will nourish and sustain you. The Cellular Fix supplement will give you the Omega 3 Fatty Acids to feed your brain, B Vitamins to feed your cells and a multi-strain probiotic that will help regulate your GUT. Many of my clients find just by nourishing their bodies for the first time, that urges for Binge Eating are more controllable.